Thursday, October 24, 2019

On Reading and Parenting

Today I thought I'd post about a topic that, while somewhat related to my experiences as an author, has really more to do with my experiences as a parent. That is: the importance of reading. I'm not talking just about how important it is for a parent to encourage their children to read. No, I'm talking about something far much more essential: the importance of setting an example when reading as a parent.

From the time that my daughters were old enough to listen to stories, I was reading to them. It became part of their evening routine, every day, until they were old enough to read the novels they wanted to read to themselves - and even after. It began with picture books, and progressed to childrens' chapter books. But it did not end there.

For me, it was important not only to be able to read to my daughters, and to share my love of reading with them - but also to share in their favorites as well. If my daughter wanted to read a particular book or series of books, then at the very least I wanted to read the first book in that series as well. Why? Because if that book was something they liked, I wanted to know what it was that they liked. If I wanted them to read A Midsummer Night's Dream, or Les Miserables, or The Lord of the Rings, or any of the Dragonriders of Pern books, then I should be able to read Throne of Glass, or The Hunger Games, or when they were a little younger the Warriors book series (there were how many of those???) Over time, those books, as well as the movies and songs that we shared and discussed, became our common reference points.

My point is that in life, as a general rule, you will get out of it what you put into it. If I wanted my daughters to understand how I saw the world, I needed to understand how they saw the world. It has been a rewarding experience, and one that I wouldn't trade for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment