Thursday, June 20, 2019

A Story Worth Telling

I often see other writers asking or commenting about "writer's block": about not knowing what to write next or how to progress a particular story line. It's an experience that, to a certain degree, I'm not sure I can relate to.

In my experience, there's always something more to be written, or re-written. Some element of the story that needs to be expanded or refined. The real challenge has not been about knowing what to write next, but rather ensuring that what is written properly conveys the sense and purpose that it needs to, in order to progress the overall story. In other words, if I already have an overall arc for the story in mind - which I always do when I sit down to write - the challenge becomes one of finding the right vantage point, the right vision each chapter of the book, to make that element compelling and alive in its own right.

I have sketched-out chapters, for example, where I knew where that particular chapter fit into the overall story and arc of the book - but had still not found the vibrancy which that particular chapter needed. Sometimes it was only later, coming back to that chapter or segment of the book, that I would find the vision and atmosphere which that chapter needed to contain.

So for me, it's never been a question of "writer's block" in the traditional sense - about not being able to write. It's been about finding the vantage point as a story teller that makes a particular segment exciting to write, and exciting to read. Working through the third draft of my second novel, I can confess that each time I find that needed vantage point, a certain thrill passes through me. I know I have created a story worth telling, and worth reading - and can look forward with anticipation to the day it will be released.

No comments:

Post a Comment