Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Book 4: Progress

I've finally surpassed 60,000 words for the first draft of Book 4 in the Stormfall Chronicles. As I've hinted at before, this will be the final installment in the original story arc, following the experiences of Lynette, Baxter and others, as they face an epic battle for the future of their world.

As the final chapters in the first draft take shape, I can already begin to see beyond the original series. Possibilities run through my mind for spin-off stories, following some of the many characters who appear in the current series. The temptation to complete some of their miniature story arcs is becoming ever more irresistible as the epic story nears its closure.

If I do decide to write a follow-on novel or novels, however, I expect them to be structured as stand-alone novels - more narrowly focused on a single story arc and character. Juggling an epic fantasy has been an exciting undertaking, but has also absorbed more energy and time than a more conventional fantasy tale would require. Something for me to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment