Friday, December 14, 2018

Light at the End: The Never-Ending Cycle of Edits

The editing process is always more involved, and requires more iterations to get right, than what we as writers would anticipate from the onset. In my instance, I began with four complete editing cycles - before I first handed a draft of the manuscript over to my beta reader (my middle daughter - the one who most appreciates the fantasy genre). Taking into account her initial recommendations and edits, I have since gone through another two edit cycles, and am now having her re-read the book from front-to-back for completeness. It's close to being complete - almost but not quite there.

In my instance, at the advice of my beta reader I had a number of sections that required that they be replaced or rewritten, as well as entire scenes that needed to be added. Along the way I've started to write chapters for Book 2 as well (which I always had a sense for - but hadn't set any of it down up until now).

Whoever thought that writing was easy has never attempted to write a cohesive book or novel of any kind. It's a lot of writing, re-writing, and writing again to get all of the pieces to fall into place.

Looking forward to releasing the first book in the series - hopefully at month's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment