Thursday, November 1, 2018

Modern Artistic Influences

I wrote previously a little about some of my literary influences when I was younger. Certainly, the literature, television, movies, and music of our youth leaves an indelible imprint on our tastes and expectations throughout life. It is also possible, however, to absorb new influences and to learn from more recent sources of inspiration.

In my instance, I was blessed as a parent of three daughters, each with their own similar but also unique opinions and tastes, which introduced me to other literary and artistic genres over the years. I can't speak for every parent out there, but in my experience it was both rewarding and essential to be familiar with the types of movies, books and music that appealed to my children. It gave us something else that we share, debate and enjoy together.

My more modern literary influences therefore include J.K. Rowling's books - which didn't exist when I was young but which delighted my daughters to no end - as well as Sarah J. Maas, among many others.

The other, modern artistic influence that I would have to cite would be Japanese anime. Series like "Spice and Wolf," "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood," "Madoka Magica," "Violet Evergarden," and of course the movies of Hayao Miyazaki and Mokoto Shinkai - to name but a few. It was not just a question of the exquisite visual images and artistry, but more importantly the expert story telling that I found appealing. Among the things that I appreciated, was a willingness to use fantasy as a venue for taking on larger questions and issues about humanity and society.

So those are a few of my own influences as a writer. Anyone that would care to share their own literary influences and favorites is more than welcome to add them in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment