Thursday, October 25, 2018

Greetings and Salutations

Greetings dear readers,

I hope that this blog message finds you all in good spirits and good health.

I decided that in preparation for my foray into the world of fantasy and science fiction writing, that I should launch a blog where I could share my progress, and hopefully my successes, with prospective readers.

Unlike many first-time authors of fantasy and science fiction, this is not my first foray into writing. I had already published my first hardcover book, long before I ever thought seriously about putting my pen to paper as a writer of fiction. This will be, however, my first foray as a fantasy novelist, a decidely different form of writing from the historically-oriented works that I have published heretofore. It is a genre different enough, that I decided that it deserved its own blog page, Facebook page, and so forth - to provide me with an opportunity to reach out to this very different reader audience.

As someone who has published before, I can say that while writing is an enjoyable experience, it also demands a significant commitment in terms of time and energy to convert a vague idea or outline into a story and manuscript worthy of being published. I can say from my past experience that it is not something that I undertake out of any delusion that this is likely to be my full-time vocation and source of income. Rather, I write because I feel that I have something to say.

There are of course many reasons to write, and many sources of inspiration that might motivate individual authors. For my part, in all of my writings, I have always had the sense that there was already a story out there, waiting to be retold – a story that already existed and which wanted to be heard - and for which I was merely the conduit for its retelling. I can only hope that I have been up to the task of conveying this story in the manner and with the appropriate skill that it deserves to be told.

Kind regards,
J.W. Golan

No comments:

Post a Comment